Welcome to the Hoffman House
The original Hoffman House Restaurant was started in 1946 by seven Hoffman Brothers upon their return from military service. It was located in Madison, Wisconsin in an old building on East Wilson Street within a block of Lake Monona, the Northwestern Railroad passenger terminal, and the East branch of the Milwaukee Railroad.
Following the success of their first restaurant, the Hoffman Brothers expanded their operations. They acquired Ishnala supper club in The Wisconsin Dells in 1953. Very soon after their acquisition, they continued opening a number of restaurants in motor hotels throughout the midwest.
In 1958, the Hoffman House in Rockford, Illinois opened for business!! The original was comprised with a small dining room and lounge, and located in the Don Carter Lanes on East State Street. In 1975, the Hoffman House moved to its current location next to the Holiday Inn. The restaurant was built with an expanded dining room, lounge, and banquet facilities.
The Hoffman House is now co-owned by Robert Prosser and Dale Vogel. Both began their careers with the Hoffman House, and they’ve each worked closely with the Hoffman Brothers, and believe that their formula for success “serving the highest quality food, in a warm, friendly manner, and at a fair price” is just as relevant today as when they opened the first Hoffman House restaurant in 1946. “We’re still following the same recipes and specifications the Hoffman Brothers developed over the years. In addition, we are still cutting daily, only USDA choice steaks, in our own kitchen and we don’t intend to change.”
As local owners and operators our goal is to continue to serve the highest quality food in the best Hoffman House tradition, and we’re looking forward to doing just that!!
Robert J. Prosser & Dale A. Vogel